To start-it's my Dad's Birthday today! Happy Birthday Dad, I love you. We all do!!
Yesterday was the last "Play date in the park" for Kindergarten. At the beginning of the summer when we heard about the play dates, it seemed so far away. What a great idea-the Kindergarteners and parent(s) meet at the park down the road from the school. They do circle time, introduce themselves, play games under the instruction of a woman with 3 kids at the school who seems good at rounding everyone up and leading silly games. The parents do the same (minus the circle time and games but with the addition of a little extra nervousness).
We had a hard time with play date #1 as Cohen is very particular about his T shirts. The assigned tie dye shirt made sense, everyone looks the same, you know who is part of the play date. Cohen wasn't having that. He is no hippie and does not enjoy tie dye. Finally got him in it with the promise that he could immediately change into a plain white t shirt when we got back in the car (which he did). Play date #2 didn't bring up any clothing problems, he just said "I don't want to go, it's boring". Once there, making it all the way across the monkey bars proved to not be boring and all was well. At the end however it hit me that the preparation for Kindergarten is coming to an end, and school is actually going to start soon.
After begging Scott to let me home school, or hold him back a year (neither of which I want to do when I'm not crying) I agreed to attend "Back to school night" which is tonight. More about that and hopefully some pics tomorrow.
Michelle-
ReplyDeleteI remember having the same feelings with Tony. Reading the blog brought tears to my eyes. My little guy got married a week ago this Saturday. I think of all the wonderful memories Cohen and you will have with him starting kindergarten next week. And how lucky and blessed you are to do it 2 more times with Sean and Asher.
My words of advise is volunteer at the school. I loved volunteering at Highcroft when Tony went there. And I continued to volunteer in junior high and high school.
Enjoy these years because they fly by in a wink of an eye.
You are a good mommy!
Luv you!
The whole time I read your entry -- I chuckled, cried and smiled! I pictured you at the age of 5 her your blond hair and blue eyes wearing a purple "plaid" (dad was so proud) dress with white anklets going to kindergarten for the very first time! The next time I turned around you were wearing a cap and gown and chatting about La Crosse with all your friends! Your family will have tons of wonderful times and memories! Meeting new families, activities, projects (the homemade gifts were always my favorite). I know you will treasure every step of the way -- you're a wonderful daughter and friend! And I'm looking forward to Grandparents Day at his school!
ReplyDeleteWow! So I was going to write something about Cohen loving school and me being excited to hear all about it until I read Aunt Jan and Mom's posts; now I am in my office with tears in my eyes thinking of Cohen heading out east for an Ivy League College wearing anything but tie-dye! I am glad he's headed down the street for his first day of kindergarten and not out east! I can't wait to see his first day of school picture! Love you guys.
ReplyDelete