Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Deep Thoughts...by Cohen

Bedtime is probably the one time we stick to a "routine" in our day, or life even. The last few weeks, after stories are read, stories are told, stories are told back (to us by Cohen), I ask if there is anything he has on his mind, anything he'd like to talk about. Most times he says "well yes, let's talk about getting a car, or well yes, let's talk about going to Blockbuster tomorrow". Very simple. Lately though I've been getting a lot of questions about growing up, getting older, not wanting to get old, how he doesn't ever want to be an adult, not wanting to get "heaven old". He also asks "where is God, where is God's donkey (long story), will you and I be in heaven together. I must say, I've gone the route of honesty and it's breaking my heart. Lately I've been wondering why I seem more emotional and I really think this has a lot to do with it. It's not just being honest with him, explaining die (no longer living) vs. dye (mommy-does die mean coloring something), but it's realizing that he is emotional beyond my realization. He's curious, he is realizing more and more, and really, that he's growing up fast right before my eyes. The amount that I want to shelter him just can't win over his ever going mind. It truly is part of parenting, part of loving, and part of my life. I'm going to love this stage instead of be sad about it. After all, him growing up means he's healthy and everything is happening the way it should be.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this entry. Cohen is such a smart little boy!!! He is going to kick butt in preschool this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Michelle... this story truly touched my heart. Cohen is such a special person! I've always said being a mom is the most rewarding job one can ever have and it's the hardest job you will ever experience. As Grandma Voelz would say, "We raise our children for someone else." You're a great mom and role model for Cohen!! Keeping up the fantastic job you are doing.

    As his "Nonna" I'm so fortunate to be a part of Cohen's life Even at the tender age of 4 he says and does the most incredible things! And can just crack me up with the darnest things he'll say!!! I feel so thankful each time he hugs me with both his hands and whispers in my ear "Nonna, I love you."

    Cohen, I love you too! Love, Nonna

    ReplyDelete