Thursday, May 31, 2012

Weekend Plans

With the weekend on the horizon, I've been thinking about what a fun one it is for us.  The Edina Art Fair weekend.  It happens 2 blocks away, is mass chaos in the best way, and seems fitting that it comes on the heels of Memorial Day weekend.  Together they kick off the summer for us.  They help me compartmentalize my life rather well. 

Memorial Day weekend-always at the cabin, with as many family members as possible, food and fun filled.  It's a summer kick off weekend in full force, people cleaning boats, greeting each other in town after winters away, businesses breathing a sigh of relief as doors open and close more often.  I golfed with Angela and Kevin, a whole 3 months earlier than my typical 1x per summer 9 hole round over Labor Day.  Sign of more rounds to come?  Yes, and more as to how later. 

Cabin weekend is away from home, away from projects, cleaning, organizing, homework, shopping, errands, work and the list goes on.  It's the relaxation side of my summer and we soaked it up.

Art Fair weekend is representative of the here and now summer.  Farmers markets, to do lists, sports, camps, everything mentioned that weekend 1 isn't yet still an integral part of what makes up our summer.  Edina Art Fair weekend is all about neighborhood, community, and juggling kid activities.  We're doing it right.  Friday night, as I wipe away the Kindergarten Graduation tears from a 10:15 am ceremony, we're having a family over for outdoor entertainment.  Totally summer.  Saturday is filled with soccer games, Birthday parties, coaches kick off and planting.  Sunday is another Birthday party and volunteer opportunities, followed by a block of time for me to prep for a meeting I'm heading up the following week at work.  It's the calendar side of our life.  Both are necessary, and both keep us going. 

Back to golf.  Our summer childcare is a combo nanny/in home daycare.  Asher and Sean currently go to Carol's daycare together.  Sean will not go at all this summer, Asher will remain going as often as he does during the school year.  Cohen and Sean will be with a nanny together.  We figured that would work best for maintaining Asher's busy sleep schedule, and allowing the two older boys to do older boy things (digging worms, walking to the pool/park, going on adventures to Minnehaha etc.).  It'll be easier for Haydn to drive Cohen to his activities as well if she only has Sean and Cohen to load up.  Wednesdays I have off, but Haydn will be with us.  This will make the times when I jump online from home less stressful, and allow us a few weeknights to golf, have dinner, walk the lakes as a couple. 

I'm entering summer with purpose.  To bring more relaxation and cabin life into our home life.  I'm making piles to sell/donate to simplify, I've cleaned the porch to welcome spurts of relaxed reading while still monitoring the kids in the backyard, my list of goals will read more like a grocery list, and those times when weekend 2 busy life sneaks in, will always be met with ice cream!! 

3 comments:

  1. I scream, you scream, we all screm for ICE CREAM! SO necessary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great summer you have planed for the Schelp family.
    LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You inspire me! Sounds like a great summer - hope to visit once.

    ReplyDelete